IF YOUR START-UP HAS CUSTOMERS AND MARKET TRACTION, YOU'LL NEED EQUITY INVESTMENT TO SCALE-UP.
Our Venture Capital Fund (VCF) provides New Brunswick start-ups with the seed investment they need to rapidly grow and delivery their innovative products to more customers. Our venture capital investments typically range from $200,000 to $500,000 per round. Our investment is made through preferred shares, common shares or convertible debentures.
Examples of traction we consider an asset when pitching for this stage of funding:
- Company is generating meaningful revenue
- Team has grown to support increased product demand
- Interest from new investors
- Successfully received additional non-dilutive capital in the form of grants or loans
Seed investment from our VCF is intended to participate in a seed round that will fully support a business for 12 to 18 months. This investment is to be used for product enhancement, marketing and branding, employee recruitment, acquiring additional IP protection, and other early stage business operations.
When we evaluate start-up investment opportunities, we look at a company’s product, market, team, and financials. While initial pre-seed investment will help you get started, you’ll need to raise another round. As an early-stage investor, we like to see a plan towards raising additional rounds of investment. We like to see your path with milestones that allow you to raise larger rounds of financing.
Here are some of the qualities we look for in potential investments:
- Potential to scale rapidly
- Potential for Intellectual Property (not required)
- Minimum Viable Product
- Novel concept or unique business model
- Large addressable and target market
- Globally relevant, market validation from customers
- Having a strong team is paramount to your success
- Co-founders and well-rounded management team, in New Brunswick
- Domain or technical expertise in market space
- Minimum 12-18 months of runway
- Three-year financial projections with monthly detail for the first year, and quarterly detail for the following two
*All investments are subject to due diligence, negotiation, and appropriate approvals. We aim to deliver decisions as soon as possible.